Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Home...


It is good to be home...mostly! We traveled from Montalto di Castro to Rome to New Jersey and there were no delays, missed trains, or grumpy kids! We made it...barely! It was a crazy trip but it worked out famously. We then spent a week in NJ with my parents in an East Coast heatwave...my first comment on landing was that the weather wasn't so bad...it was HOT in Italy! We enjoyed my brother's pool and the kids learned that the pool was a fun place to be. On the whole we weren't the best company...jet lag was a killer coming back to the States for us.
Then we were HOME! The kids slipped right back into life like we never left...they haven't slept this well in quite a while. I think they are just happy to be home, in their own beds, with all their toys and stuff, and enjoying playing outside with plenty of room to run. I am doing much better, NOW. It was a pretty rough week for me...my back went out, grocery shopping, hunting for clothes and things, unpacking suitcases...all of that plus being exhausted! I feel more rested now and life seems much more doable. Hey, I am even writing a blog post...I must be feeling good!
I haven't really had the time to mourn leaving Italy. I was certainly too busy the day we left...finishing packing, cleaning, getting ready for a LONG flight, trains, planes, and automobiles. But now it hits me at odd times that we are back. I miss ALOT from our 'home' in Italy. Honestly, the hardest part is getting used to Americans and their attitude towards families with small children. In Italy, children are SO loved...even complete strangers...ALWAYS have a kind thing to say, help whenever they see that you might need help, and overall, appreciate the fact that it is hard work to raise kids and think you are wonderful for doing it. Back to reality, being ignored or glared at because one of your kids has the nerve to be crying or needing something, pushing you out of the way to get ahead of you, and just plain not kind to families of small children. I am so proud of Gwen...telling cashiers and older people 'grazie' and 'buongiorno'...even though they totally ignore her now...I hope she remembers the few words of Italian she picked up.
But, it is certainly nice to sleep in my own bed again. To not sweat every second of the day! And to have a few of the creature comforts that were missed. I am enjoying seeing my family and friends again. I guess I didn't realize how isolated I was in Italy...not knowing much Italian was a real barrier to making friendships. It is so nice to be able to pick up the phone and just call someone...and not even have something important to say, but just hear their voices...speaking my language.
As I said earlier, I still have alot to share...some about Italy, some not...you are invited to join me on the crazy ride I call my life!
Have a wonderful day!
Ciao a tutti!

No comments:

Post a Comment