Monday, May 17, 2010

I'm lovin' it...

Along came Saturday and the pouring rain...and I mean pouring...ALL day! The Asparigus Festival was rained out in Montalto :( So we go exploring...Tobin was in the mood for some REAL breakfast pastry (well, real as in what we are used to)...off we go. Pescia Romana was kind enough to supply pastries to us (for a fee of course ;) but they were close enough for goverment work! We went north to the city of Grosseto...it poured...so we decided to park and take a walk through the old town. Here me with my new umbrella (isn't it so me! Green and with green polka dots...I really thought that this was a splurge when I bought it 2 weeks ago...I thought it would immediately stop raining...just because I bought it...who knew it was a necessity)...

Inside the walls of the old town/city center/centro, there is very little car traffic (I am afraid we might be getting a ticket for accidentally driving into the centro sent home to us...Yikes). There is a lovely church...San Lorenzo Cathedral...

Here is the inside...I love the stripes...all marble of course...

A little wet, we happened upon a sign pointing the way to a McDonalds...what a sight for sore eyes! We haven't been particularly homesick for much (besides of course our family and friends...and maybe my craft room)...but seeing those golden arches...well, we NEEDED to go there for lunch. After a little touring of the city...we found it...the golden arches never looked so good...

It was quite the experience ordering our food...I thought I would be in trouble (I am such an expert in Italian, you know) but it went rather smoothly, it almost seemed like I was really talking with someone...until she asked if I wanted a Coke...I asked for a Diet...blank stare until I remembered...Coca Cola Light! So I wasn't really speaking English...I was speaking McDonalds! I have to be honest...a Big Mac may have never tasted so good! It tastes just like home...even the fries were the same! Amazing! The kids really enjoyed their Happy Meals...


The rest of the afternoon, we drove through the Tuscan countryside. We were on some serious hilltops and could imagine that there were amazing views to be seen...if we weren't in a cloud! Here is a pic of some rainy Tuscan country...



We happened upon a really neat city...Pitigliano...we will be returning, since it was raining we just did a drive by...but what a town and view...



Even in the rain, we are enjoying this crazy adventure. We have offically been here an entire month...crazy! I am starting to at least hear words when people are talking to me...I just don't know what the words mean! It is a bit frustrating not being able to have the simplest conversation with someone...hopefully, it gets better. I just keep trying, no matter how dumb I sound or how intimidating it seems...

It is seriously unseasonably rainy here. Not that I can tell what the news or newspapers would say about it, but we have heard that this rain is being caused by that volcano in Iceland. I am not complaining (aside from not being able to actually dry ones laundry) it is actually pleasant weather...at least for me! I am enjoying the rain and my Mary Poppins umbrella!
I hope that you are having a wonderful day!
Ciao a tutti!

No comments:

Post a Comment