Monday, May 10, 2010

Success!...

There is nothing quite like moving to a new country and not knowing the language to make you humble. Generally speaking, I like to think of myself as a somewhat intellegent person...enter the italian language...Yikes! I am reduced to the most basic one word sentences...I feel like a caveman, nodding, pointing, and constantly saying thank you (you can laugh now at the pictures that are jumping into your head).
On Saturday morning, Tobin had to work so I decided to run and get a few things at the local grocery store. It was pretty deserted, so I felt safe being a bit more adventurous. The italians have the most wonderful deli meats and cheeses (I am sure that you can imagine...a deli here is called a Gastronomia!)...the problem: the lady that cuts them for you only speaks italian! So stumbling along, I get my ham, salami, and provalone cheese...Yay! Only one major communication problem...she kept asking me if I wanted my salami 'fume'...any clues? I finally figured out she was asking me if I wanted smoked salami! Of course!!!! I wanted 'normale'...so major hurtle taken care of.
In most of the grocery stores that we have been in (and that is quite a few) they have these displays for the Italian National Soccer team for the World Cup. They have these little albums to collect something in them...I thought it would be perfect for the boys to collect some kind of baseball card type thing for the soccer team, but again I can't understand italian so I had no idea what it was...I couldn't seem to figure out what exactly they were collecting. So, here I am at this grocery store on Saturday with only a few people, and I finally see a poster talking about these things to collect...I asked the cashier! Remember the caveman! What are these? She rattles away in italian and I give her my best confused look (these come really easily). I finally get it that for every 10 euros you spend you get one (one what you ask...just wait it gets better)...I think great, I can do that, and it is free! Well you need the card (think Safeway card for coupons)...ok, but you have to fill out the paper (of course it is in italian). I ask if I can take it and bring it back (I don't actually remember my address and it is in italian)...she says no, just fill it out here and gives me a pen! Are you laughing yet? Kids screaming, people behind me, cashier looking at me expectantly...so I start filling it out! I didn't have a clue! I think she just had pity on me in the end...but I got one!
Well, I actually got 2 and now Pat can have one and avoid the crazy experience! And we get twice as many soccer thingys...what are they? They are metal, circular...things! One side has a picture of a soccer player and the other has their number and last name...pretty cool! The kids are pretty stoked about it...now I have to buy one of those album things for them!

So that is my success for Saturday...I thought you would enjoy the laugh! I am pretty proud of myself for braving the wilds of the italian language. Today, the bread store lady, Elena, was trying to ask me if I lived in Montalto and for how long...at least I think she was! I think the people that I see on a regular basis are starting to realize that I will be here for awhile...they are starting to smile more and ask questions (not that I have a clue what they are saying), but it is nice to be talked to! Everyone, and I mean everyone, tells me that I have beautiful children (bella bambini)...that is kind of nice...and they are always chatting with Gwen...not that any of us understand them...but they certainly get free stuff because of their cuteness!!!
I hope you have a wonderful day!
Ciao a tutti!

No comments:

Post a Comment