Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Ostia Antica...

Sunday, we needed to go back to the airport to trade in our rental car. Apparently, the Alfa Romeo sports car that we were driving was the wrong one! Who knew! It was a great little car, and seriously fun to drive. Our new car is a black Peugeot...it is hard to believe, but I think that this 4-door car is actually smaller than our original sports car! At least now we have 3 seat belts in the back and the extra doors are handy (except that Gwen's newest passion is opening the door when we are zooming down the Autostrada...I have since learned how to lock the door, but poor Grandma's heart may never be the same again), and the trunk space is the same or a smidge bigger. It is hard to get used to another manual, I keep gunning the engine! Watch out pedestrians!

So after the exciting trip to the airport...off we were to Ostia Antica. I REALLY liked this trip. I am sure in some way this is heretical, but these ruins were way better than the Roman Forum. Sure, the Forum is the more politically and historically important sight, but as far as ruins go...it was much better. They are in much better shape, actual signs around (even in english) so that one actually knew what we were looking at...it is not in the center of a large city and even has shade...overall, a very enjoyable experience!

A little on Ostia Antica...Ostia means mouth...so the city was at the mouth of the Tiber River controlling all the trade and water traffic into Rome...so it was the place to be. Rivers being what they are, the mouth of the river moved and the town found itself land-locked. After a plague, the town was abandoned and eventually covered by sediment up to the second floors of buildings. You can think of Ostia Antica as a sister site to Pompeii...where Pompeii was a weathly comunity and covered by volcanic ash...Ostia Antica is a working class town and it is much easier to imagine daily life. This site is also better preserved than Pompeii and much less touristy.

I am constantly blown away at the sophisication of the people that lived so long ago...the ornate decorations in stone and tile are truly amazing! Heck, the Romans invented indoor plumbing! One never really thinks much about it until you are faced with the sheer size and monumental task that is, especially without modern equipment to get the job done...you really get a feel for the amount of slave labor that was used to accomplish such tasks!

Here is a pic of part of the necropolus..

Here we are looking at one of the multitude of baths that were present...the tile work is seriously impressive...the tiles are about 1/2 inch square...

This is the ampitheater...

And yes, we ALL were there (I am trying to sneak in pics with me in them...kind of hard sometimes when I am the one that takes the pictures)...

We had a bit of a grumpy Gwen, but big brother Case was all about helping out...

And here are some cool column pics of the kids...

Well, I guess she wasn't grumpy the whole time...

The ruins here are very extensive...they seemed to just keep going and going...


And what is a visit to a Roman ruin without a picture of a Roman road...



We really enjoyed our visit here, and very much recomend it to anyone traveling to Italy. It might not be the most must see, but I definitely think you get a bang for your buck!
This week has been more low key than last...I am trying to get ready for Clayton's birthday and doing regular household things...trying to get that laundry dry whenever the sun decides to peek through the clouds. I think that I am beginning to make my first Italian friend. I admit it is very difficult for me to chat with anyone. With the three kids it is hard, add the different language and it almost seems impossible, and then add in a TON of rain and I just don't get many chances to try! But I am starting to have REAL chats with the bread store lady! Today, I just went with Gwen (the store is literally 2 houses away) and there was no one in the store...she communicated that she wanted to learn English and I wanted to learn Italian! I was certainly encouraged...we spent a few moments trying to figure out several words...FUN!!! I am thinking of inviting her to my house some afternoon for coffee or something (the bread store closes every afternoon...though I don't know if she has other commitments...at least it is worth a try)...so here is to being brave!
I hope that you are having a wonderful afternoon!
Ciao a tutti!

No comments:

Post a Comment