Monday, June 28, 2010

Assisi...

I apologize for the lack of blogging this morning! I am in the midst of packing and I have apparently added to our pile of belongings since being in Italy (imagine that!). So, I have been trying to find some things to leave behind...well, there are some books that I brought that I haven't read yet...so I read one today! I read 'Playing for Pizza' by John Grisham...if you haven't read it, DO! It was very humorous to Tobin and I...as we know just what he is talking about...SO TRUE!!! I enjoyed it very much...though I didn't get to the computer...

On to the adventuring...we went to Assisi last week. Assisi is another hilltown in Umbria. We had a beautiful drive (though rainy) on seriously windy roads...again, you haven't experienced an opportunity corner unless you have driven in Italy...


That pic was courtesy of Case in the backseat! Assisi has been put on the map as a pilgrimage spot. Many Catholics from ALL over flock here to see the places that Francis lived and preached. Outside of the old town, is a church that is a bit different than the rest...it has a church inside a church...no joke! They built the church around the tiny church that Francis preached...




Then in the centro is St. Francis Basilica. It looks kind of plain from the outside, but inside it is a whole different story. This one has an upper and lower basilica, with amazing frescos by Giotto...but unfortunately no pictures...apparently the flashes will harm frescos as they are pretty delicate, so no photos to share...




And a nice picture of the town...



Overall, it was a pretty nice day! It rained in the morning so it didn't get super hot (To get into all these churches one can't wear shorts...even the kids...they have a dress code...so on those hot days it can get really hot in pants).

Ciao a tutti!

No comments:

Post a Comment