Thursday, June 3, 2010

Galgano Monastery...

Have you noticed that we can't go the same way twice? The way home from Siena was a WONDERFUL trip through the forested area called Montagnolo (medium-sized mountains). One of the side trips was to this old monastery...



It was REALLY pretty, even though it was a ruin. Tobin managed to snatch a lizard for the boys...they were beside themselves and Gwen screamed like a girl (which if you know her, is really different)...


A close up of our friend...





And not to be left out...




So why is this abbey important...as the story is told...Saint Galgano was a 12-century saint who lived like a hermit. He didn't have a cross, so he buried his sword to the hilt in a stone (think King Arthur in reverse). Here is the sword in the stone...




In this chapel is the remains (bones) of a persons hands, apparently he tried to take the sword out of the stone and a wolf killed him...and his hands are on display...I do have a pic but decided to show it only to those who are interested!

I have told you that I am obsessed with going to the local TIs and getting maps and brochures...well apparently I am rubbing off on my kids. They all constantly ask if we can go to a TI and get maps. Case has even figured out what the TI sign looks like (a brown sign with a white lower case italized i) and constantly points out that they are close. Yesterday he said, 'We are in LUCK, there is a TI here.' No matter about priceless art and historical significance, if there is a TI we are all good!

Just to let you know...I am taking a break from the computer this weekend. Tobin and I are going on an early anniversary getaway weekend...to Venice! I can't tell you how excited I am! It has been so long since just Tobin and I have gone anywhere! We haven't had a night away from the kids since before Clayton was born (he just turned 4) and we haven't gone away for a weekend since I was pregnant with Case (that is about 6 1/2 years)! Besides that, we got reservations at the most perfect hotel in Venice! Right in the middle of the action but not on the main drag...close to a vaporetto stop...and decently priced! I am giddy with anticipation! I have all sorts of things planned...gondola ride, St. Marks square and basilica, the islands of Murano (glass) and Burano (lace), and last but not least...being ALONE with Tobin!!!! I am EXCITED!!!!!

I am sure to write again on Monday...have a wonderful weekend!
Ciao a tutti!

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to see the picture of the person's hands and of the kids with their flags if you have it. Have a WONDERFUL time with your Beloved!
    ~Jennie

    ReplyDelete