Friday, June 18, 2010

A walk across Rome...

This is one of my favorite adventures thus far in Italy (aside from going to Venice with Tobin). I just don't get many opportunities to just take the boys (who are older and more 'bribe-able') to do more 'grown-up' things. I truly enjoyed Rome, my boys, and the adventure, never mind it was in the 90s and humid, we just had a super fun time!

We spent the day walking across Rome...I am so impressed with the boys, having good attitudes despite being hot and tired...finding several TIs certainly helped, and gelato will make any day better, and mommy even got to do some shopping...a GREAT day!

Our first stop was Castel Sant'Angelo. Roman law stated no one could be buried inside the city walls, so Emperor Hadrian built this great big circular tomb. For nearly 100 years emperors were buried there, it was a prison in the dark ages, and eventually it was connected to the Vatican as a handy place of last refuge for threatened Popes. The boys enjoyed the castle, we found a great spot to rest with a magnificent view of Rome and a cool breeze...and the local TI with a map for everyone! Here is a pic from Ponte Sant'Angelo...

The fortress/castle from the inside...don't you just love those 2 helpers...


We continued on...hot and sweaty...I can't say that I ever thought I would drink from a public fountain (like the bubbling over kind), I got over that quick and learned to truly enjoy the ice cold water freely flowing...a quick wash of the face and you are ready to go again!

We managed to find Piazza Navona...an oblong shaped square with 3 impressive fountains (the middle one was by Bernini)...we ate gelato, washed off in a fountain, strolled through the artists booths, and found another TI...


I managed to stumble onto the Pantheon, totally by accident, but fun none the less. It is the only wholly intact roman building...it is pretty impressive...


Inside the dome, while it is much shorter than St. Peter's...it is 3 feet wider at the base...


We 'mosey-ed' on...if one can mosey while sweating and dragging 2 tired kids...bribing them with the possiblity of finding one more TI (which I never did by the way) and found the Trevi Fountain. It was quite impressive, crowded and huge. Of course, I forgot to toss in the obligatory coin into the fountain...silly me...local story, if you toss a coin in the Trevi Fountain and you will return to Rome...need to get back there...

Then we managed to find the Metro, got on the 4 o'clock train, meeting back up with Shannon and made it back home to Montalto. Not bad for one day's work! While it wasn't that important to the boys and, frankly, they won't remember, I will always treasure the memories of this special day. The boys did wonderfully, we had a good time, the boys had their maps from the TIs, and I had some wonderful memories to bring home...
Ciao a tutti!

No comments:

Post a Comment